Student Lab is an innovation competition for the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) industry. It is an initiative undertaken by GITEX TECHNOLOGY WEEK to recognise and promote students who are the future of the ICT industry. The competition is designed to give an opportunity to students from across the UAE, to present their innovative solutions to ICT leaders at GITEX TECHNOLOGY WEEK. It is also a great recognition platform for universities within the region.
When: 8 - 12 October from 11am
All visitors can swing by and talk to these passionate millennials about their projects and innovations!
First winner : AED 50,000 & A trip to witness the 3rd satellite Launch with YAHSAT | Second Winner : AED 40,000 | Third Winner: AED 30,000
HOW STUDENTS CAN PARTICIPATE?
- Each student must fill up the application form on the GITEX website - with the project description (no more than 500 words) and upload passport copy/national ID as well as passport size picture in order to be a part of the competition.
- An acceptance notice will be sent to the correspondence via e-mail.
- Students are welcome to update the status of their projects on their profile which gives you an opportunity to be promoted in the GITEX TECHNOLOGY WEEK
- Newsletters which is sent to 500,000 industry professionals.
- The competition language is English.
WHO CAN BE A PART OF THE STUDENT LAB?
- Students must be 18 years old or above.
- Students must be a current or graduated student (undergraduate or post graduate) in the 2017 academic year calendar.
- Students must be studying or graduated from Communications Technology, Engineering Technology, Computer & Information Science departments in one of the universities in the UAE.
The competition is all about how creative and innovative the students can be in the fields of engineering, technology, science, computing.
Any software solution, gaming, application, product innovation is accepted for submission.
Communications | Space | Satellite | Finance | Retail | Travel | Media & Marketing | Health | Education | Transport & Logistics | Energy | Drones & Robotics | IoT | VR, AR, AI
SUBMISSION OF THE PROJECT
- Submissions will be accepted via web-based platform on the GITEX web-site.
- Students will be required to upload a detailed project description (not more than 2,500 words) including: Project Title, Executive Summary, Description, Solution, Impact of your innovation
- The students will be required to upload either a live presentation or video of their work (length not more than 10 minutes)
- The video must demonstrate how to use the product/ software with full functions and implementations
- GITEX Project Team will shortlist the best 40 submissions and will send them to Judging Committee.
- A judging committee from industry leaders, associations and partners will select the best 25 projects from the submissions. Those 24 projects will have the opportunity to display their innovations during GITEX 2017 at the Student Lab showcase area.
- The 24 shortlisted projects will be announced 1 week to the show
- Top 24 will have the opportunity to display their innovation during GITEX TECHNOLOGY WEEK 2017.
- 3 winners will be selected out of 24 shortlisted projects onsite at GITEX TECHNOLOGY WEEK. Winners will present their innovative ideas to the GITEX audience followed by an award ceremony.
CRITERIA FOR JUDGING THE WINNING PROJECTS
The 24 nominations will be judged based on following criteria:
- Innovations and Design (35%)
- Impact and Usability in real life (35%)
- Quality of the presentation and technical details of the solution (30%)
*Judging committee might get in touch with applicants to ask further questions during the judging process.
Selection best 3 projects out of the 24 shortlisted projects
- 3 October: final day to submit project
- 8 – 12 October: display of the 24 projects within the student lab zone in sheikh Saeed Hall
- 12 October: 11:00 am presentation to the panelist
- 12 October: 3:00 pm winner announcement
Premium sponsors and partners
GITEX is supported by the brightest and best organisations leading global digital transformation and bringing game-changing technology solutions to the Middle East.